Every hour, over 1,000 pets go missing, and only two-thirds of them ever make it home. That is over 10 million lost pets per year. FindMyPet helps quickly reunite lost pets with their owners by the use of state of the art Crowdfinding techniques.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
When your pet goes missing, quickly and easily upload the information about your pet using the app on your phone or our website. You only need to give the contact information, location, time your pet went missing, its name, photos if you have them, and click SEND.
Immediately all of the other Find My Pet users in the area are notified to be on the lookout for your pet.
As soon as someone sees your pet, they can notify you immediately through the app, or just phone you on your contact number on their screen.
That’s it - Quick, Easy, with no “signup screen” or fees to be paid. When your pet has gone missing, speed and simplicity are the key.
WHAT ELSE WILL IT DO?
FindMyPet is a reporting and instant notification system. It can be used to:
- Report a Lost Pet
- Send the lost pet reports to all users of the FindMyPet app in your area
- Automatically send via email, a PDF poster of your lost (or found) pet to all of the shelters, veterinarians and pet stores in your area
- Allow you to download the same poster to print and post yourself
- Post the lost (and found) pet information to Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc)
- View All Lost Pets in Your Area
- Report a Found Pet
- Report a Stray
- Report Animal Abuse (Anonymously)
- See animals up for adoption
- Place animals up for adoption
- Report a deceased animal
- Find the closest open vet and provide directions and contact information
- Help find someone to assist in a pet emergency
- Provide educational information for you and your pet
- Help find a pet sitter
- Help find a pet taxi
- Find pet stores for food and supplies
- Provide a “facebook for pets” where you can share photos, stories and videos.
- Show you where off leash parks and other facilities are
- Allow users to review pet stores and veterinarians and other services
- Provide an Question and Answer forum between pet owners to share information
- Do all of this in many languages of the world
- Share data with other websites, facebook pages and apps. Our goal is to “Complement, not Compete” in order to help as many pets as possible.
- Emergency notifications - Something happening in your area
WHAT WILL IT NOT DO?
FindMyPet will not:
- Allow pet for sale notices
- Support puppy and kitten mills
- Protect animal abusers
- Barrage you with advertising
- Charge you for its use
- Share your private information
- Feed the pets or clean the litter boxes or pooper scooper
THE FIND MY PET STORY
The story should really be called “Find My Mommy”... Hi, My name is Camille and I am an Animal Whisperer.
Animals, usually strays, are just drawn to me. I feel their feelings and understand their needs. There was a time when an abused puppy got away from it’s “master” and walked ½ mile through the fields to my house and whimpered at my gate to be let in. When the master was out looking/calling for her by beating the grass with a stick and yelling “Dog, come here dog”, she hid under my legs and looked up at me with puppy dog eyes that said “Don’t tell him I’m here, please.” She has now been part of my family for the last 5 years and 3 countries and that’s her sitting beside me.
Since this is a daily part of my life, I am spending a lot of time on helping stray animals - feeding, spaying and neutering, fostering, and placing them in forever homes whenever I can. This led to me seeing the scope of the issue of strays around the world, (10 million lost pets per year worldwide) and then leading from that research, the number of missing pets on a daily basis around the world (1,141 lost pets per hour). In fact, one in three pets will become lost at some point in its life.
So I decided to get someone to develop the FindMyPet apps and websites for me back in early 2015.
Unfortunately, costs rose, and since I was financing the development out of pocket, I had to put a stop to it.
Since the app has no cost to use, and there is no advertising on it, and I don’t have any way to make money with it, it was suggested to me that I do a Kickstarter or Indiegogo or other Crowdfunding campaign. I have plans to do that, but it takes time to get it started and then you don’t get the money until you raise it all, etc. I don’t want to wait that long to help lost pets.
So, this is why I am asking for donations - either a small monthly subscription or a one-time donation, to help me get the Android version completed, complete the server back-end, and then contract someone to do the iPhone version.
People ask me why I am doing my own when there are already a few apps out there already.
I studied them all, and came up with the main issues being:
- They are localized (for a single town or state)
- They have a cost to use (We are 100% FREE)
- They are limited in features
- You have to pre-sign up and register your pets
- You have to go through a registration process that takes time
- They don’t work anymore.
I wanted something quick and simple to use, especially when flustered because you can’t find your pet. It also has to be useful in the real word. So, the FindMyPet feature list includes:
- Less than a 2 minute process to get your pet’s information out to the network, with the ability to add more information later
- Uploading of up to 5 photos of the pet and uploading of up to 5 “sound files” of you calling your pet that can be played to coax him/her to come. (My husband uses this feature when I am away and he needs to get the cats in the house at night.)
- Simple simple simple to use, and constant feedback from the users on how to make it even simpler
That, and many more options as listed above, and we are constantly thinking of new things to make your pet’s life easier, safer, and happier.
Again, I thank you in advance for donating if you can, and even if you can’t, please make sure you have the app installed on your phone so that you can help with the Crowdfinding of the lost pets.
WHAT DOES THE APP LOOK LIKE?
The app has very simple functionality. Here are some of the example screens:
REPORT A LOST PET
To report a lost pet, put in the basic information about it.
Then select some photos and audio files.
Select where you last saw your pet and when.
GETTING A NOTIFICATION OF A LOST PET
When a pet is lost in your area, your phone will notify you automatically with information such as this.
When a pet is lost in your area, the system automatically sends out a PDF file like this via email to all of the veterinarians, animal shelters and pet stores in the area. I hope that every pet store has a “WANTED” poster wall. When a pet is found, the “FOUND” poster is sent out with the happy story.
DEVELOPMENT STATUS REPORT
2016/03/20 Currently the Alpha version of the Android App is available on the Play Store.
The back-end servers are operational.
The programmers are constantly upgrading and updating the systems, so for the next while, the app is still in ALPHA and may be updated more than once a day.
I thought it was more important to have an app with all the “pimples” on it actually being used to help lost pets, than it was to sit on it and test it until it was 100% ready.
2016/03/03 I have resumed the development of FindMyPet thanks to the generous donations of people like you and a little help from corporate sponsorship.
2015/10/15 I have had to stop the development of FindMyPet due to the lack of financial resources.
2015/06/01 Our first Alpha of FindMyPet is being tested by a close group of people.
2015/05/04 Development of FindMyPet has begun. This is exciting.